Major Renovation Works at Main Hall
This structure remained until the 1980s, when a major reconstruction of the mosque took place. A 28m high minaret with a small roof dome was added to the mosque entrance in 1985. A small street called Omar Road once led to the mosque from Havelock Road, but this road, already named in an 1857 map, was expunged in the 1980s. The Chinese called Omar Road kam kong mak la kah sam pai yang teng hang (“Kampong Melaka praying temple [mosque] lane” in Hokkien). Keng Cheow Street, which survives, was named after Tan Keng Cheow (1907-1972), a Hokkien businessman is now the main entrance of the mosque.